What Does an Infected Wound Look Like?
Your body is capable of healing wounds on its own. Sometimes, you won’t even notice it. However, this process can be hindered by an infection.
Meridian Home Health shares that your wound might be infected if:
- There is palpable warmth around the affected area.
- There is yellowish or greenish drainage coming from the wound.
- There is a foul odor being emitted from the site of injury.
- There is a presence of red streaks around the wound.
Aside from observable signs at the site of injury, an infection can also cause:
If you notice any of these signs and symptoms, seeing a doctor would be in your best interest.
What increases the risk of a wound getting infected?
- The size or depth of the wound.
- The presence of foreign particles or objects in the wound.
- The cause of injury.
On top of that, there are also health conditions that increase the risk of a wound being infected. These include:
- Poor blood circulation
- Weakened immune system
- Old age
- Deficiency in vitamins and nutrients
You should consider getting home health care in Newark, California. We offer wound care that can lower your risk of infection.
How do you prevent a wound from getting infected?
- Wash the wound as soon as possible.
- Run the injured area under clean water.
- Let the wound air dry.
- Treat the wound with antiseptic.
- Cover the wound with sterile gauze.
Are there other options you can take to prevent an infected wound?
Of course. You can get home health services in California from us. Our staff is fully trained to help you recuperate in the comfort of your home. Aside from wound care, we also offer other support services that are aimed at making your home life easier.
Know more about your options for wound care by giving us a call. Don’t forget to share this blog post to someone whom you think might need our help.